Mar 6, 2008

Emmerie's surgery

Ok so today Emmerie is having surgery to fix her teeth! She nursed her first year of life just like my other children but Emmerie didn't do so well with sleeping through the night and so I nursed her back to sleep. She also hated cow's milk and refused to drink out of a cup. I started herwith juice at 5 months and she would just let it dribble down her chin. I kept trying all the way to a year and the same rsults- a wet shirt and none in her belly. I wanted to wean her at a year and start milk in a cup but my child would have starved to death because she wouldn't eat. She still wasn't eating a lot of real food by then either so I continued to nurse- Hey it's the best thing for them right? Well low and behold her 4 front teeth began to have decay on them. I slowly stopped nursing her at night which was really hard and then took her to a pediatric dentist who said it was all caused by nursing at night and she needed to have surgery to cap them. WOW! I caused my own child to have rotten teeth. I knew to never send a baby to bed with a bottle but not the boob. Now she has to get white caps on the top teeth and silver on the bottom because the are much worse. I feel like a terrible mother, but at the same time I just wanted my baby to be happy! Well the anxiety leading up to today has been overwhelming!! Now I have to wake her up in a little bit and take her to Flaggstaff oh did I mention the surgery is at 1:00 and she can't eat until after!!!! That is going to be hard! Well I'm glad my friend Holly is going with me. Thanks Holly! And Thanks Holly's Mom for watching her kids with a broken arm!! We love our little Emmerie and it's so sad that she has to have a grill!!! Just a funny thing that she says "I love you soooo much mommy!" What a darling little girl she is!

6 comments:

Rhiannon said...

That sounds scary but it sounds like dentists know what they are doing. I have heard of kids getting tooth decay from bottle and such but not from breastfeeding. Good luck she will do great and so will you.

Anonymous said...

Oh MJ, don't beat yourself too much. by #4 it is about survival and that is what was working for you and her. I will keep you guys in our prayers and I hope everthing runs smoothly with the surgery!!!

we will be in PA spring break, march 22-27th. was hoping we could see you guys but I guess not

take care and you are doing a great job mom. you are a fab mom

The Jones Fam said...

I hope the surgery went well. It is so hard to watch our kids go through stuff like that! You are a good mom though, don't blame yourself! I would have never thought nursing would cause tooth decay either...what about sending them to bed with a Pepsi? Is that bad?:)
-Natalie

shannonb said...

Oh wow... I've heard of bottles at night messing with teeth, but never from breast milk. Totally not your fault! I hope all went well and that little one is up and running again soon :) I'm sure it's rough since she's so young. Hang in there!

Summer said...

Oh Mindy - How scary! It's all for the best though. It would be worse if you just let her teeth be. I have heard about that - only cause my bro-in-law is a dentist...but I guess anything that eventually produces sugar - bottles, boobs. I hate teeth problems...poor emmerie! She sounds like she's being a trooper! And please don't feel like a bad mom - that's silly! Things like that just happen. Just to make you feel better...Ashley has glasses cause she turns in one eye. I didn't notice until she was almost 3 years old. Well I look back at pictures and she was doing it way before the age of 3. What kind of mom doesn't notice? Poor thing can't focus without crossing or without glasses and I didn't notice! Such a great mom I am! That's just life! You are a great mommy!!

The Cranes said...

Hey, this is Ben's cousin Amy. I met you a long time ago but you probably don't remember me! Conny just gave me your blog address. I have 4 kids and nursed the youngest 3 each until they were almost 2 years old and none of them slept through the night for over a year and I nursed them all to sleep all the time. So don't feel like a terrible mom--you do what you have to do and some kids just don't want anything but nursing. None of my kids had problems with their teeth decaying so it is hard to believe that is what caused the problem with Emmerie. Maybe other factors caused it to happen (also not your fault)